Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A New Day Dawning

I have often said I am keeping this blog in part, to keep note of things I want to remember about my babies childhoods. But today, I am grateful to have it to write down my thoughts for them to read someday, on this historic day.

Our country now has its first African American president. But it is so much more than that. Barack Obama is a president who speaks to our hopes, more than our fears. To what unites us, more than what makes us different, while still celebrating the things that make us unique. During the last few days, he spoke of the "patchwork" that we indeed are. Here is his wonderful Inaugural Speech.

There were many wonderful phrases:

. . . . let us brave once more the icy currents . . . . "

" . . . . we have chosen hope over fear . . . . "

" . . . . everywhere we look, there is work to be done . . . . "

"All this we will do."

" . . . . we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals."

" . . . . we are ready to lead once more."

" . . . . your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy."

" . . . . new era of responsibility . . . "

And I thought the poet, Elizabeth Alexander, was wonderful too. Her poem, Praise Song for the Day", did not have the grand imagery of On the Pulse of Morning, but I thought that was part of its power...it was about every day people.

I didn't get to hear Rev. Gene Robinson before the "We Are One" event, but you can watch it here. (Shame on HBO for screwing up and not showing this. I know it was only because it was because the official start time, but they should have made sure this was aired.) I loved his call for a move beyond tolerance to respect.

And I must admit Rick Warren's prayer was a nice one.

And I loved loved the last prayer offered up by Rev. Dr. Joseph Lowery. I dare you to watch this without grinning ear to ear. :-) I loved how he ended it, as I've read he's done before...

"....help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."

He concluded,

"Let all who do justice and love mercy say amen and say amen."

No comments: