Thursday, October 30, 2008

Our country's future - our chilldrens future

Sometimes I wonder if I'm over-thinking this whole election. Yes, it would be so amazing if Barack Obama were elected the first African American president - not just because he is African American but because he has such visionary ideas for change in this country, ideas to bring about the kind of change we need after 8 years of a war-mongering idiot who doesn't have a clue about average Americans. And more of the same, from John McCain would be awful.

But in the end, perhaps it isn't a choice between Heaven & Hell. I mean, Obama will only be able to accomplish so much, no matter what his intentions, especially if we don't have a strong Democratic majority in Congress. And McCain, well I used to listen to him on Imus and thought a lot of what he had to say sounded pretty reasonable, even if I did disagree with a fair amount of it. He sounded like a decent caring guy. When he got the nomination I was pleased. I thought, "Well he is the lesser of all the evils." (And "Thank God it wasn't Mitt!" ;-).

But the way McCain has run his campaign. The horrible down-and-dirty attacks. The lies. His bitter, sarcastic and belittling approach. And his choice of a vice presidential running mate. All this makes me fear a McCain presidency. I hope folks who are supporting Barack Obama aren't lulled into a false sense of security and fail to vote.

No comments: