Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Poetry & Parenting

I'm very excited to be taking my first poetry course in a looooong time! It is a 3 session class callled "Poetry & Parenting". My last one was way before my 2 year old was born. When I first saw that the only offering through the Bedford Learning Connection, my reaction was one of "Oh man, I can't even escape parenting in a poetry workshop!" But then I thought about it? What brings me more joy? What brings me more frustration? What am I most invested in?

So this workshop is actually perfect. The description says we'll look at Sharon Olds poems, for one. This is exciting. I loved her from the first poem I read of hers. Her mothering poems struck a chord in my baby pangs (I'd wanted children for such a long time). She has a new collection out called One Secret Thing. I've been enjoying her Strike SparksL: Selected Poems", and expect some of her best mothering poems from this collection will be among conversation at my workshop!

No comments: