Sunday, September 04, 2005

Katrina: my own commentary

You've heard it from several news sources, so I won't go on and on. But while I'm glad our President is *finally* doing a good job at helping the victims of Katrina, he and our entire Congress were woefully slow to respond and have probably cost countless lives because of it. Kevin and I were listening to the weather channel for DAYS and DAYS before Katrina hit. If private citizens like us could be aware that this was going to be a major disaster, why in the *world* wasn't the President of the United States and the Congress of the US quicker to respond with an action plan?

I don't know the answer. But it saddens me to contemplate, because I think if this had been a WHITE area of the country with more REPUBLICAN constituents (i.e. folks who would vote in Bush's party come next election), the entire government might have moved as quickly as they did when they wanted to try to save Terry Schiavo.

No comments: