Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Million Dollar Baby - warning: rant!

So Million Dollar Baby cleaned up at the Oscars. Ugh. It wouldn't be so bad if there were some POSITIVE, constructive portrayals of disability in Hollywood. But there really aren't. And to portray disability as a fate worse than death....without questioning it....I just can't stand it. Especially in an era when a woman is being threatened with death because her husband thinks "she wouldn't want to live with a disability". :-(

End of rant. But here are some links to articles that put it even better than I do:

Million Dollar Bigot
Common Dreams on MDB
Disability Studies Quarterly on MDB
Not Dead Yet's Oscar Protest
Joni E. Tada

And since my Vile Cretin page on my website always drew critism that I was a bitter, negative person - - here is a POSITIVE recommendation for a movie to see *instead* of MDB:

Murderball - a movie about quad rugby

No comments: